The Town of Bancroft has ten departments.  Within each department are divisions with specific responsibilities.

Building Department

Our Building Department staff are responsible for providing information and assistance to homeowners, business owners, builders and design professionals during the construction and development of buildings. 

In our efforts to achieve healthy and safe living environments we:

  • Review permit applications and drawings for proposed construction;
  • Issue building permits;
  • Conduct routine building inspections;
  • Enforce minimum standards for non-compliance; and
  • Secure unsafe buildings


The Building Department is responsible for the enforcement of the Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code regulations and ensuring that plans comply also with local zoning by-laws and other applicable laws and regulations. 

General Guidance

For general guidance please click the links below. It is important to note that the provided lists are note an all-encompassing list and for advice on whether your project requires a permit, please contact our Chief Building Official:

Chief Building Official
8 Hastings Heritage Way
Bancroft, Ontario K0L 1C0
E:   [email protected]
T:   613-332-3331 Ext 207
F:   613-332-0384

Building  Application Form

Sewage System Application Form

Review of Existing Sewage System Form

Sign By-Law

Site Plan Control Guidelines

Town of Bancroft Comprehensive Zoning By-Law No. 27-2006

Town of Bancroft Integrated Community Sustainability Plan

Hastings County Planning and Development

Community Improvement Plan

Entrance Permit

Building By-Law (26-2007, amended 2015)

Building Permit FAQs

When do YOU NEED a permit?

  •  Construct a new building
  • Renovate, repair or add to a building
  • Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
  • Change a buildings use
  • Install, change or remove partitions and load-bearing walls
  • Make new openings for, or change the size of doors and windows
  • Build a garage, balcony or deck or enclose an existing deck
  • Build a utility shed over 160ft2 (10x16) as of April 2022
  • Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • Install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems
  • Install or modify heating, plumbing and air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and woodstoves
  • Install kitchen or bathroom cupboards with plumbing
  • Reconstruct a chimney
  • Build a roofless deck over two feet above grade
  • To finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom
  • To install a pool or hot tub
  • Erect signage
  • Install a septic system
  • When you intend to alter the grade of a property greater than one hectare (2.5 acres), or next to an environmentally sensitive area.

When you DO NOT NEED a permit?

  • Replace existing, same-size doors and windows, subject to distance from property lines
  • Install siding on small residential buildings, subject to distance from property lines
  • Build a utility shed under 160ft2 (10x16), but the shed must comply with the Comprehensive Zoning Bylaw 2003-11. Sheds are not allowed without a primary use structure, and must have proper set backs from the property line.
  • Re-shingle a roof, provided there is no structural work
  • Install eavestroughs, provided that drainage
  • is contained on your property
  • Damp-proof basements
  • Paint or decorate
  • Reinstall/replace kitchen or bathroom cupboards without plumbing.
  • Erect a fence (except swimming pools and outside hot tubs require permits)
  • Electrical work (the Electrical Safety Authority, however, must inspect electrical installations)

By-Law Enforcement

The Town of Bancroft is committed to fostering a safe, welcoming and pleasant community for residents and visitors.

Through By-Law Enforcement, the Town is committed to the maintenance of community standards that contribute to improving the quality of life. The Mandate of By-Law Enforcement is to achieve compliance with municipal By-Laws through education, mediation, and, as necessary, enforcement and prosecution.

The Municipal By-Law Enforcement Officer will investigate after receiving a written complaint. The By-Law Officer is usually successful in obtaining voluntary compliance with Municipal By-Laws. There are always instances that require additional enforcement and when an individual does not voluntarily comply, there are formal legal requirements that must be followed and these can take time.

By-Law Services investigates and enforces regulatory municipal By-Laws such as property standards, clean yards, noise control, and sign control. The By-Law Officer is also responsible for issuing licenses, such as mobile food vendors, taxis, hawkers and peddlers, and sign permits.

By-Law Officer
8 Hastings Heritage Way
Bancroft, Ontario K0L 1C0
E: [email protected]
T: 613-332-3331 Ext 217
F: 613-332-0384

Commonly Requested By-Laws

Clerk's Department

The Clerk’s Department is responsible for providing administrative support services, as needed, to Council and to all Municipal Departments. It is an essential link between the Town of Bancroft, the general public, and Municipal Council. The Department carries out the statutory duties for the Clerk’s Office, which includes, among other things, preparation of agendas, recording minutes, preparing By-Laws, maintaining records, licensing, elections, and maintaining vital statistics.

Commissioner for Taking Affidavits
The Commissioner For Taking Affidavits Act (provincial) designates selected municipal officials as commissioners for taking affidavits. Provision of this service is not always available and the municipal official’s designation as commissioner for taking affidavits may be limited to specific purposes. Those requiring the service of a commissioner are encouraged to call prior to attending the Town Hall to ensure that a municipal official is available.

What you will need:
1. The deponent(s) (person swearing the affidavit) must appear and sign the affidavit in front of the commissioner;
2. You will be required to produce two pieces of government identification (one (1) with a photo and signature, such as a valid driver's license);
3.  The fee for this service varies depending on the document and the number of pages that require the commissioner’s signature. You can find the fee in our Comprehensive Fee Schedule.

Rules for Taking Affidavits
1. An affidavit must be presented; the commissioner will not create or edit the affidavit.
2. If you have questions or need assistance completing the affidavit document, you should contact the party/agency that asked you to complete the form.
3. The commissioner for taking affidavits cannot counsel or assist deponents with completing the affidavit document.
4. All information on the affidavit must be filled in before it is sworn and any enclosures mentioned must be attached.
5. The deponent(s) must have read and understood the contents of the affidavit and the deponent(s) will be asked to swear or declare that the information is correct before signing the document and must sign it in front of the commissioner.

What if the document specifically requests a Notary Public?
The Town of Bancroft does not offer Notary Public services. Any document that requires the signature of a Notary Public will be referred to a lawyer, as Commissioners do not possess the same signing authority and are therefore unable to sign documents requiring a Notary Public signature.
The service is available by appointment, Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

What types of documents can be commissioned?
The Commissioner may sign documents related, but not limited to, the following:
1. Travel consent letters;
2. Pension documents;
3. Vehicle transfer forms;
4. Change of ownership forms;
6. Canadian Government related forms;
7. Town of Bancroft related documents e.g.) Planning Department;
8. Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief;
9. Financial Institution forms. 

Clarification of the type of affidavits that will be signed can be directed to the Clerks Department.

What do you need to bring?
Anyone requiring commissioning services must provide at least one piece of valid Canadian government issued photo identification (e.g. Current drivers license or passport). All affidavits presented for commissioning must be the entire document and must be signed in the presence of a Commissioner. If the document has already been signed, the person will be asked to sign a second time in front of the Commissioner.

What services are not provided?
The Commissioner is not responsible for any content of the document and does not provide legal advice, preparation or editing of affidavits, assistance, counselling or interpretation services to the testifier when completing their documents and shall not commission documents that are in any other language(s) other than English, as the information being sworn cannot be validated.
Any questions or needed assistance in completing the affidavit document should be directed to the agency or party that has requested the form(s).

Is the Commissioner required to sign presented documents?
It is at the discretion of the individual Commissioner whether or not they choose to sign the document. If a Commissioner is uncomfortable about the identity of the person requesting the service or the content of the documents for any reason, the Commissioner may refuse to sign the document. 

To get a marriage license, you will need to:
1. Download the application here. Bring the completed application with you to the municipal office.
2. Bring two (2) pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married. One (1) piece of identification must include your photo.

Examples of government-issued identification:

  • Government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates;
  • Valid passport;
  • Record of immigrant landing;
  • Canadian Citizenship Card;
  • Valid driver’s license;
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card.

3. Fee: $150

*A marriage license is valid for three months from the date it is issued.
*Please allow 3-4 business days to process the application.

Information Privacy
The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act applies to local government institutions, including municipalities, police services boards, school boards, conservation authorities, boards of health and transit commissions.
The Act requires that local government institutions protect the privacy of an individual’s personal information existing in government records. It also gives individuals the right to request access to municipal government information, including most general records and records containing their own personal information.

Accountability and Transparency 
The Council of the Corporation of the Town of Bancroft recognizes that municipal governments are some of the most open and transparent levels of government. As such, the Council of the Corporation of the Town of Bancroft will ensure it is accountable to the public and that its actions are transparent to the public. 

Council Responsibilities
Council recognizes that it is responsible to provide good government for its stakeholders in an accountable and transparent manner. Council is guided by the following principles:

  • Encouraging public access and participation to ensure that decision making is responsive to the needs of its ratepayers and receptive to their opinions;
  • Delivering high quality services to the ratepayers; and
  • Promoting the efficient use of public resources. 

Enhancing Public Trust
Accountability, transparency and openness are standards of good government that enhances public trust. They are achieved through the Town adopting measures ensuring, to the best of its ability, that all activities and services are undertaken utilizing a process that is open and accessible to its ratepayers. In addition, when possible, the Town will engage its ratepayers throughout its decision-making procession which will be open, visible and transparent to the public. 

For more information, please view the Town's Accountability and Transparency Policy.

Click here for policies and procedures.

Clerk Department
8 Hastings Heritage Way
Bancroft, Ontario K0L 1C0
T: 613-332-3331 Ext. 208
F: 613-332-0384

Economic Development

With support from Ontario's Rural Economic Development Program, the Town of Bancroft
is currently developing an Economic Development Strategic Plan providing direction, goals, and
priorities for economic development in Bancroft over the next five to ten years.

Updates will be made available here.

For more information, please contact [email protected]

Click here for Economic Development resources

Tax Increment Equivalent Grant Program

Development Resource Reports

A.W. Hooker Summary Report
A.W. Hooker Order of Magnitude Estimates Report
Forrec Report
Deloitte Summary Final Report
Greenview Environmental Report
Lord Cultural Resources Report
N. Barry Lyon Consultants Limited Report
PKF Report
Downtown Revitalization Final Project Report
Museum Master Plan Development Report
Building Bancroft-Watermain Hydraulic Modeling

The Earth Sciences Centre

Bancroft is nationally and internationally known for mineral exploration and geological discovery and has a unique geological story to tell, one that involves violent upheavals, collisions driven by incalculable natural forces, and spectacular continental crashes! Over a billion years ago, land masses collided to become the continent of Laurentia, North America's primordial continent. Hundreds of millions of years later, Earth's continents collided again to form the single super continent Rodinia with a central mountain range to rival the Himalayas, the Grenville Mountains. These ancient continents and their descendants form the very ground upon which Bancroft stands today; and deep beneath the Town lie the rocks that document this fascinating story. There are many stories to be told rooted in the very beginnings of the formation of North America as we know it today; and these stories all have incredible potential to engage the hearts, minds, and wonder of all.

The landscape of the Town of Bancroft and its surrounding areas tells the fascinating story of planetary
plate tectonics, of intense volcanic activity, and natural forces capable of raising mountains and then
eroding them to sand. The landscape shows how frequent periods of glaciation have scoured the land,
seen most dramatically in the shapes of the lakes and valleys around Bancroft which are the physical
remnants of the last continental glaciers in the Bancroft area over 10,000 years ago. The above is all part
of our Canadian geo-heritage.

In 2016, Museum Planning Partners completed an Earth Sciences Centre Master Plan. At present, stakeholders are meeting to discuss Challenges and Opportunities facing the Earth Sciences Centre project; Relevant Best Practices from Around the World; Prioritizing the Role and Functions of an Earth Sciences Centre; and Possible Organizational Models and Status for a Board that would provide oversight to the establishment of an Earth Sciences Centre.

You can view the final report here: Hall/Departments/Economic Development/The Earth Sciences Centre/ESCBancroftFinalReport.pdf


Administrative and Financial Services

The finance department provides a wide variety of administrative and financial services to all departments of the Town and to the public.  The department is responsible for coordination of the annual operating and capital budgets, accounting payroll, water and sewer billing, asset management planning, job costing, mandated financial reporting and the issuance of Residential and Non-Residential tax bills. 

If you are moving, or have changed your mailing address, please contact us immediately*
Click here to change your address  

Payment Options

By Mail - Cheques, Certified Cheques or Money Orders can be made payable to:

The Town of Bancroft
8 Hastings Heritage Way 
P.O. Box 790
Bancroft, Ontario
K0L 1C0

Secure Drop Box on front of building

Additionally, we are pleased to offer the following payment alternatives: 

For your protection, please record your roll number on your payment**

Asset Management Plans

Budget Information

Consolidated Financial Statements and Audit

Property Taxes 

Once the annual budgets (Town of Bancroft, Hastings County and School Boards) are completed, the annual tax rates are then compiled and applied to the property assessments, as set out in the Provincial Regulations which require the County (Upper Tier) to establish any required tax policies; and which determines the property owner's taxes for the current year.

Please click on the links below for more detailed information on the Town of Bancroft's tax information.

2014 Tax Rate for General Levy
2014 Tax Rate for Bancroft BIA
2015 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA
2016 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA
2017 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA
2018 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA
2019 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA
2020 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA
2021 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA
2022 Tax Rate for General Levy & Bancroft BIA

2023 Tax Notices

Interim Taxes are based on 50% of 2022 taxation.  Interim Due Dates for 2023:

 Installment 1: March 15, 2023
 Installment 2: May 17, 2023

Final Taxes due dates for 2023:

Installment 3: Aug. 2023
Installment 4: Oct. 2023

It is the responsibility of the rate payer to ensure the Municipal Office has your current mailing address.

MPAC Logo     The 2020 Assessment Update has been postponed.     
     Click on the MPAC logo for more information. 

For more information, please visit MPAC'S Website

To learn how your property taxes are calculated, click here.

How do I redirect my taxes to the Catholic School Board?
Click the link for application

Financial Information Return (FIR)

Fire Services

Bancroft Fire Hall Website

Fire Hall Line: (613) 332-2442

Garbage, Recycling, and Landfill

164 Pinnacle Rd. (off Detlor Rd)

Hours of operation: 
(Closed Statutory Holidays)
Monday - 7am-12pm
Thursday - 7am-12pm
Friday - 7am-12pm
Saturday -9am-4pm
Sunday -9am-4pm

For inquires, please contact the public works yard at (613) 332-2322.

A Municipal Waste Disposal Site Card is MANDATORY to enter the site.  New Waste Disposal Site Cards have been issued and will take effect as of April 1, 2023,  remaining valid until August 31, 2024. These cards are YELLOW , the previously issued cards will no longer be accepted. 

Recycling and Waste Management Brochure 

*please note, the Town of Bancroft has a Clear Bag Policy in effect. All garbage must be placed in clear bags. Please ensure you are following this policy as we will be enforcing the Clear Bag Policy.

Household Hazardous Waste Days

Please place your recyclables loosely in their respective blue boxes.

Blue boxes are available for purchase at the Municipal Office for $10.00. **Currently Unavailable**  

Land Use Planning & Notice of Zoning By-Law

The Planning Department provides advise to property owners, developers, Council and staff with respect to land use, building and planning matters. 

Every land transaction has some planning involvement. Zoning compliance and confirmation of status of site plan and or subdivision agreements to working order information. 

The Planning Department is responsible for complying with Hastings County's Official Plan which provides policy and guidelines. The Committee of Adjustment is given powers under the Planning Act and by town council to deal with minor variance to certain town by-laws. mainly the town's Zoning by-law or to allow changes to non-conforming uses. 

Reach out to our Planning & Development Coordinator for pre-consultation meeting request for land use changes:
- Zoning By-Law Amendment
- Minor Variance
- Site Plan Control

Planning & Development Coordinator
8 Hastings Heritage Way
Bancroft, Ontario K0L 1C0
T: 613-332-3331 Ext: 201
F: 613-332-0384

See also the The Ontario Municipal Councillor's Guide for Land Use Planning.

Notices of Virtual Public Meetings:

Intention to Remove Holding:

Zoning By-Law Amendment Applications:

Draft Plan of Subdivision & Zoning By-Law Amendment Application:

Minor Variance Applications:


Notice of Passing:

Comprehensive Zoning By-Law No.27-2006

Zoning By-Law No. 27 2006 Map 1-Bancroft Ward-Old

Zoning By-Law No.27-2006 Map 2-Dungannon Ward

County of Hastings Official Plan 2018

Hastings County Geographic Information System (GIS)

Public Works

Roads Department

Under the provincial government and the Municipal Act, the Town of Bancroft is required to maintain a level of service to roads with respect to winter conditions based on the classification of each road.  Please visit Road Maintenance  for more information. 

Parks and Recreation Department

Our Parks and Recreation department facilitates the maintenance of the Town's parks and recreation areas. 

If you have concerns regarding an issue in either of the above departments, please contact (613) 332-3331 for your concern to be directed accordingly. 

Load Restrictions
During the Spring thaw, road restrictions will be placed on local roads. Please return to this page at that time for notifications. 

Road Classification:

Classification of each road is determined by traffic volume and speed.
For further information please contact our Public Works Department.

Water and Wastewater

To fill out a Water and Sewer Utility contract (required for all new residents on Town water and sewer), please click here. For a PDF copy of the contract, please click here, and return it to the Town of Bancroft Office in person, via email at , or via fax at 613 332 0384. We have a secure drop-box outside of our front door if you visit the office outside of our office hours. Thank you. 

The Town of Bancroft operates a water plant and a waste water treatment plant, with contract management services provided by Veolia North America.

Effective June 15 to September 15
Use of hoses for watering lawns etc. is permitted ONLY between 8PM and 9AM, and in accordance with the schedule below;


General Information

Water/Waste Water Billing
The Town is responsible for water and wastewater readings, billings and collection services.  All inquiries regarding your water consumption should be forwarded to the Town of Bancroft.

Water and wastewater billings are issued bi-monthly.  The bill amounts are determined by the current rates and the consumption of water as registered by the customer’s water meter.

Frequently Asked Questions

If I have questions regarding my bill, who do I call? Please contact our Utility Department at 613-332-3331 ext: 203

How often will I receive a water wastewater bill? You will receive a bill bi-monthly

How do I set up a water wastewater billing account?  Contact our Utility Department at 613-332-3331 ext: 203

How can I pay my water wastewater bill? You can pay your bill at your Financial Institution, online, mail cheque, or at the Municipal Office

Who do I call if there are problems with my water meter? Town of Bancroft at 613-332-3331 ext: 203

My bill is considerably higher, what is the cause of this? This could be due to a potential leak somewhere in the home. Most often, it is from a toilet running. Read the Water & Wastewater Brochure for some tips on testing for a leak. 

I’m moving, what do I do? Contact the Utility Department with move out date and updated address

Water Conservation

Lawn Care

  • Raise the height of the blade on the lawn mower so that grass is never less than 1.5 inches; longer grass has stronger roots, crowds out weeds, requires les water and helps the soil retain moisture longer. 
  • Leave the grass clippings on the lawn as they contain valuable nutrients which help grass develop stronger root systems and help retain moisture. 
  • A thorough, less frequent watering encourages deeper, healthier lawn roots, making for a stronger, greener lawn. 
  • Water your lawn for only 1/2 to 1 hour at a time.  Most lawns only need approximately one inch of water per week.
  • Never water your lawn throughout the night
  • Many types of sprinklers can lose as much as 50% of water to evaporation - using a soaker hose directly waters the lawn with no loss to evaporation. 

Garden Care

  • Add a mixture of peat moss and compost to your garden - this provides valuable nutrients making for healthier plants, but the soil will actually retain moisture longer
  • Add a layer of mulch, approximately two to four inches in depth to your garden
  • Use plants which are native and are drought resistant 
  • Use rain water collected from your downspout into a rain barrel for watering plants - its better for your plants than tap water
  • Use direct watering methods which soak the area around the plants, such as a soaker hose

Miscellaneous Property Care

  • Use a broom to clean off your driveway instead of hosing it down
  • Instead of sing a hose use a bucket to wash vehicles 
  • Putting a cover on your swimming pool reduces evaporation
  • Fix leaky faucets as soon as possible - one drip per second can amount to 60 liters of water per day
  • Fix leaky toilets as soon as possible.  Leaky toilets are also big water wasters - wasting as much as 750 liters of water per month 
Inflow and Infiltration

Water Meters and Repairs
The Municipality issues water and sewer bills once every 2 months.  The bill is based on meter readings for approximately a 2 month period of time.  If a reading cannot be taken, an estimate will be made based on historical consumption until an actual meter reading can be taken. If you have any questions or concerns about your meter, please contact the Town of Bancroft at 613 332 3331.

During Business Hours
There is a $60.00 plus tax fee per trip for a water services to be shut off or turned on.

After Business Hours
There is a $120.00 plus tax fee per trip for a water services to be shut off or turned on.